The ABS Calendar compiles seminars and events from the Applied Biodiversity Science Program, participating departments, and other events of interest. You can subscribe to the entire calendar to get updated information on upcoming seminars and events around campus or you can subscribe to a listing of just ABS-sponsored events. Instructions to synchronize the ABS calendar to your personal calendar are provided below.
|Entire ABS Calendar|
|Entire ABS Calendar for Mozilla Lightening|
|ABS-sponsored Events Only|
|ABS-sponsored Events Only for Mozilla Lightening|
What is iCalendar (.ics)?
iCalendar (iCal *.ics) is a popular calendar data exchange format. The iCal feed allows users to easily add the entire ABS calendar or individual events to their personal calendar. iCal feeds are updated when information about an event changes. Subscribing to the calendar enables automatic updates to your personal calendar when event details change or new events are added .
Subscribe to the ABS Calendar feed
You can synchronize the ABS calendar to any personal calendar that is .ics compatible. Below are instructions for three commonly used programs (Microsoft Outlook, Google Calendar, and Mozilla Lightning).
Microsoft Outlook 2007:
- Go to the Tools menu, and click Account Settings.
- Select the Internet Calendars tab, and click New.
- Copy and paste the URL of the iCal feed you are interested in (see table above), and then click Add.
- In the Subscription Options dialog box, in the Folder Name field, type the name of the calendar as you want it to appear in Outlook, and then click OK.
- In the lower left column, under Other Calendars, select the arrow to open the dropdown menu, then select Add by URL.
- Copy and paste the URL of the iCal feed you are interested in (see table above), into the field provided, and then click Add Calendar .
Mozilla Lightning 1.0b5 :Lightning is a calendar plugin for the popular email client Mozilla Thunderbird. You can add an iCalendar feed as follows:
- From the File menu select New -› Calendar.
- In the Create New Calendar popup window, choose to locate your calendar “On the network”, then click Next.
- Choose iCalendar (ICS) format, and then copy and paste the URL of the iCal feed you are interested in (see table above), into the Location field provided. Click Next.
- Name your calendar, and choose a color and notification option, if desired, then click Next then Finish.
- Once the caledar appears in the list of calendars availble, the refresh frequency can be adjusted by right-licking on the calendar and selecting Properties.
Note: for Lightening, the URL entered for the calendar begins with “http”, not “webcal”.
Download individual events
Each event has its own ics file, which allows you to download just that event to your calendar. To do this:
- Click the ics/download icon for the individual event of interest.
- Depending on what application you use for your calendar, you can either download the file then import it into your calendar.orChoose your calendar application to open the file (instead of saving/downloading it), in which case the event should automatically be imported.